Friday, March 1, 2013


Day 4 ...  Baptism in the Jordan River - by Bruce Cotharn and Renee

 

First thing in the morning Ze 'evve the comedian...took us on walking tour through the Kibbutz explaining to us the way everyone helps everyone and gives their paycheck back to the support Kibbutz.  

Girls playing at Kibbutz
 

Boys playing at Kibbutz

 
 

 

Leaders meet on Friday before sundown and vote if any decision needs to be made.  Meals are at a dining room and everyone eats every meal together.  ALL of the children are raised together from age 3...they eat, drink, play, and sleep together.  If a parent wishes to see their child and do something with them anytime, they go to where all of the children are at that time. They can bring them into their home for a visit but they live with all the other children. The efforts of the Kibbutz is completely geared towards the children and their education.  The greatest leaders in the history of the Israel military came from a Kibbutz. 

It was mentioned that the operation of the Kibbutz seems similar to us in comparison to a culture in Amish families. 
Pilgrimage Baptism 

The Jordan River was very cool and refreshing on a  bright sunshine morning filled with crisp air. Bro French made sure to communicate to us before we got off of the bus that this was a Pilgrimage baptism that had nothing to do with joining the church in the ordinance of baptism.

I had originally not planned to do it...simply because it had always bothered me whenever someone had been baptized earlier in life and wanted to do it again as a recommitment...as though their words didn't mean anything the first time...because I guarantee you, when I was baptized on Oct.31' 1980...it meant something...Jesus, in ME, makes me different. My word and my wedding vows meant something personal to me and so did my baptism.

In talking to the Stewart Brain Trust and Biblical Counseling Center, with Buck Stewart as the Sr. Advisor, and Mark and Scott Stewart giving humorous quick witted perspective...I was beginning to succumb to peer pressure. Then Bro. French offered his insight and told me...' You should do it...you will be glad you did. ' End of discussion!
The brisk morning, the cool water, the excitement, the locker room banter....you'd think it was a guys trip! Bro. French was right, I am glad I did it.

 
 
 
 
 
As a former college athlete...I was never really a FAN.  Autographs, baseball cards, memorabilia wasn't important to me...just never has been my thing.
But, a few years ago I played in a golf tournament by one of my favorite Texas Red Dirt music artist...and had him sign my hat. So I decided to baptize my Baylor University hat in the Jordan River and get a well known alumnus to sign it....Bro. French !
 
 

 
Next we headed to Megeddo



 
 
Then on to Bet Shehan
 
After our Baptism in the Jordan River and visiting Megeddo and Bet Shehan we headed to Jerusalem where we will be based for the remainder of the trip.  The following shots were taken out of the bus window as we travelled along.
 
Goats on the side of the road

Roadside shopping

Just a camel hanging around

We even found a McDonalds in Afula.
 
 
Coming in to Jerusalem
 
 
 
Tomorrow we will float in the Dead Sea and visit Massada. 

2 comments: